Why Lux & Nox Chooses Coconut Wax
Before launching Lux & Nox, we spend countless hours testing different types of candle wax. After experimenting with soy and paraffin blends, we chose coconut wax because it's environmentally friendly and easy to care for.
When it comes to candles, the type of wax used plays a significant role in the overall experience. Each wax has its unique properties and burns characteristics.
Five types of common candle wax and their unique profile
- Paraffin Wax: A petroleum by-product, has long been a popular choice for candle-making because it is affordable. It offers a strong scent throw and excellent color retention. While the potential harm of paraffin wax is inconclusive, many eco-conscious shoppers prefer alternative options.
- Soy Wax: Soy wax, made from soybean oil, has become a natural alternative to paraffin. It burns cleaner, emits less soot, and is biodegradable. However, soy wax can be finicky and temperamental. Soy wax candles have the tendency to develop a "memory ring" and tunneling if not made and burned properly.
- Beeswax: Beeswax, created by honeybees, is renowned for its natural aroma and clean-burning properties. It's said that Beeswax helps purify the air when burned, but there is no scientific proof for this claim. Beeswax produces less soot but doesn't hold fragrance well.
- Rapeseed Wax: Rapeseed wax, derived from the oil of rapeseed plants, is a relatively newer entrant to the candle wax scene. It offers a clean and even burn and an excellent fragrance throw. Rapeseed wax is biodegradable and low carbon footprint, making it an attractive choice for eco-conscious consumers.
- Coconut Wax: Made from the meat of coconuts, this unique wax offers many desirable qualities. It burns slowly and evenly, resulting in a longer-lasting candle. Everybody can enjoy a coconut candle; it does not have the tendency to develop a "memory ring." It also performs superbly in scent throw, effortlessly filling your space with captivating fragrance. Because of the softness of this wax, it's also less temperamental in cold weather.
But what sets coconut wax apart is its sustainable nature. Coconuts are a renewable resource, and our blend incorporates sustainably sourced palm wax. This combination creates a luxurious, vegan-friendly wax that meets our commitment to environmentally conscious practices. Additionally, once the candle burns, coconut wax is easy to clean with warm, soapy water.
When it comes to candle making, there are so many options available. We tested soy and paraffin and eventually decided to use coconut wax. Not only because of the environmental benefit and performance. But more importantly, how easy it will be for our customers to enjoy this luxurious product.